Re: [uos-convene] What is "semantic interoperability"?

To: Upper Ontology Summit convention <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Dagobert Soergel <dsoergel@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 23:42:23 -0500
We may need to add this to the discussion points for Tuesday, being
aware that some selection from that list needs to be made.    (01)

DS    (02)

At 3/12/2006 11:16 PM, you wrote:    (03)

>In the course of the UOS discussions, we will likely have occasion to
>discuss the use of an upper ontology for "semantic interoperability",
>but judging by our discussions, there may be more than one
>interpretation of that phrase.  I think it will be useful to
>distinguish a base "semantic interoperability" from the "scalable
>semantic interoperability" that has been mentioned in the Joint
>Communique.  It will also be useful to define some related terms.
>
>I have placed a proposal for distinguishing a base concept of "semantic
>interoperability" from "scalable semantic interoperability".   That
>discussion can doubtless use input from others who will have additional
>perspectives and suggestions for terminology.  This page can serve to
>allow the Upper Ontology Summit participants to reference a definition
>that describes the intended meaning of that phrase in our documents.
>The starter entry on that page is at:
>
>http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpperOntologySummit/UosGlossary
>
>Interestingly, the Wikipedia has no page named "semantic
>interoperability".  Perhaps we should agree on an article and submit
>it?
>
>Pat
>

>Patrick Cassidy
>MITRE Corporation
>260 Industrial Way
>Eatontown, NJ 07724
>Mail Stop: MNJE
>Phone: 732-578-6340
>Cell: 908-565-4053
>Fax: 732-578-6012
>Email: pcassidy@xxxxxxxxx

>Message Archives: http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/uos-convene/
>To Post: mailto:uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Community Portal: http://ontolog.cim3.net/
>Shared Files:
>http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/UpperOntologySummit/uos-convene/
>Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpperOntologySummit    (04)

Dagobert Soergel
College of Information Studies
University of Maryland
4105 Hornbake Library
College Park, MD 20742-4345
Office: 301-405-2037     Home:  703-823-2840        Mobile: 703-585-2840
OFax:   301-314-9145        HFax: 703-823-6427
dsoergel@xxxxxxx     www.dsoergel.com     (05)

Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpperOntologySummit    (06)