RE: [uos-convene] KBR vs SQL - wording update

To: "Upper Ontology Summit convention" <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cassidy, Patrick J." <pcassidy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 00:36:07 -0500
was clarified and now is:      (01)

"(1) We agree that the technology of modeling and representing
knowledge has developed to the point where it makes possible the
creation of knowledge-based reasoning systems that significantly
enhance the capabilities of existing relational database systems and
object-oriented programming, to provide information analysis and
exploitation capabilities that cannot be realized with those
traditional systems alone."    (02)

The full communique draft is at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpperOntologySummit/JointCommun
iqueDraft    (03)

 . . .   and the extended comments, where additional clarifications can
be added, is at:    (04)

http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpperOntologySummit/ExtendedRem
arks    (05)

It should be clear from this wording, though it apparently wasn't in
the original, that ontologies will exploit the existing capabilities of
RDBSs, not replace them.  If more clarification is needed, decide
whether the wording in the communique is outright misleading and needs
to be changed, or whether the words merely need clarification to avoid
potential misinterpretation and ambiguity.   In the latter case, a
clarifying paragraph in the Extended Remarks page should suffice.    (06)

Pat    (07)

Patrick Cassidy
MITRE Corporation
260 Industrial Way