RE: [uos-convene] Technical feasibility of Interrelating upper ontologie

To: "Upper Ontology Summit convention" <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Uschold, Michael F" <michael.f.uschold@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 15:38:12 -0800
Excellent question.
Years ago, John Sowa talked about a wonderful idea of a lattice of theories.
To date, I am unaware of any work by John or anyone else that explores this idea in any detail.

Does anyone know of any such work?
If there is none, then we are left with armchair speculation as to the technical feasibility.

From my armchair, it looks like this:

It would not be easy. I'd be more surprised if it worked, than if it did not in say a 5 year time frame, assuming it received serious attention by researchers.

I hope to be proven wrong.

The most promising technical approach may be category theory. You need to get people like Joe Goguen interested in this. He attended the Dagstuhl Seminar in 2005 on semantic interoperability, so he might just be interested.

Mike