Re: [uom-ontology-std] Note on CLIF draft - approach to scale

To: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Cc: uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: David Leal <david.leal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 17:07:15 +0000
Dear Pat,    (01)

We were very much at cross purposes.    (02)

When you said "Scales are formalized as functions from numbers to quantity
values", I thought ah-ha I agree with that. This is the conclusion that
Matthew and I came to when working on quantities, units and scales for ISO
15926, and it is consistent with my understanding of instrumentation. (I
used to be involved with instrumentation many years ago, before working on
FEA, which is why I am interested in a formal representation for ITS90.)    (03)

In this e-mail, I think you are suggesting that we work with three types of
thing:
- numbers (which have the structure defined by their axioms);
- measures (which have some other explicitly defined structure);
- quantity values (with whatever structure they actually have in nature).    (04)

Presumably you also suggest two mappings: numbers <-> measures, and measures
<-> quantity values.    (05)

At present, I do not see the utility of the concept of "measure". It does
not seem to be used in practice. In particular that only numbers and
quantity values are used within:
1) <http://physics.nist.gov/Pubs/SP811/sec07.html> clause 7.11; and
2) the definition of ITS90.    (06)

I am aware that there may be something I have missed, and I am happy to wait
and see how things work out as we go forward.    (07)

Best regards,
David    (08)

p.s. Your statement "Well, a function *is* a set of pairs, in all cases" is
nearly but not quite true. Wikipedia gets it right - see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Function_%28mathematics%29#Definition .
Trivially there is a difference between a total function and a partial
function - how can this be if a function is just a set of pairs? More
usefully, the domain and range including their structures are part of the
definition of a function, so that the properties of the function can depend
upon the structures of the domain and range.     (09)