Re: [uom-ontology-std] VIM definitions

To: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>, uom-ontology-std <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Dave McComb <mccomb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 19:37:39 -0400
Thanks.  That is helpful.     (01)

To restate: when we declare two units (e.g., furlongs and rods) to be of the
same dimension (length) we are saying they're comparable, without necessarily
knowing how they compare.      (02)

I could live with that.     (03)

I'll admit there is a part of me (probably the closed world part of me) that
says "don't even bother introducing a new unit of measure until you tell me how
it converts to at least one we know"  But I suppose there is a use case for
allowing units with unknown conversions.    (04)