Re: [uom-ontology-std] VIM definitions

To: uom-ontology-std <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Martin S. Weber" <martin.weber@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 13:39:50 -0400
David Leal wrote:
> Dear Geoffrey,
>
> I think that this is well worth discussing with the metrology experts.
>
> Two meanings of "quantity"?
> ---------------------------
> The reference
> http://www.electropedia.org/iev/iev.nsf/display?openform&ievref=111-11-01
> has the following note to the definition of (physical) quantity:
>
> NOTE 1 – The term quantity may refer to a quantity in a general sense
> (examples: length, time, mass, temperature, electrical resistance,
> amount-of-substance concentration) or to a particular quantity (examples:
> length of a given rod, electrical resistance of a given specimen of wire,
> amount-of-substance concentration of ethanol C2H5OH in a given sample of
>wine).
>
> This note, which is not present in the VIM, may be crucial. (...)    (01)

Not being a metrologist but observing: This is actually a good source of
confusion. But aside this, this note, even in other words, is in the VIM. See
NOTE 1 on 1.1 (quantity). The table following the NOTE 1 may also be
enlightening. For clarification these -could- be called differently (like,
generic quantity, quantity groups, area-specific quantity groups, base
quantities in the sense of VIM 1.4, etc.), but the VIM explicitely chooses not
to. This is a confusion that should be equivalently confusing modelled! [i.e.
keep all the overloaded meanings of the term 'quantity' to stick to
BIPM-parlese].    (02)

-Martin    (03)