uom-ontology-admin

Re: [uom-ontology-admin] [ontolog-invitation] Fwd: [members] Call for Pa

To: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: Carol Geyer <carol.geyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, uom-ontology-admin <uom-ontology-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Scott McGrath <scott.mcgrath@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Joel Bender <jjb5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 14:28:01 -0500
Peter,    (01)

> You might want to take note of the exchange below. I would be
> wonderful to have Cornell participate as an academic member of OASIS
> (as we had briefly discussed, previously.)    (02)

I would also like Cornell to be a member and have more faculty, staff, and
students participate in standards development work.  I haven't found the person
that would be the principle contact, if we have one, and I sent an email to
join@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx to see if they have a contact (sometimes working from the
outside in is more fruitful than the inside out, especially if you're on the
bottom looking up :-)).    (03)

The other option is wrangle a list of @cornell.edu addresses of existing
members and ask them why we/they haven't cooperated on a Cornell membership.
If I were to guess it's because there isn't any one department that would
justify "fronting" the cost to "support the whole University", maybe not
knowing that "we" have already paid for the academic membership in bits and
pieces, and maybe even more than that.    (04)

If there aren't any, that would say something too.  The one person that I know
was a member of an OASIS TC had their membership through a different affiliated
organization, so they didn't have a Cornell email address for their membership,
and weren't acting as a Cornell employee.  That person didn't even bother going
through the bureaucratic grind.    (05)

There was a statement that I heard many years ago that membership fees for
professional organizations are not reimbursed for staff, only faculty.  I
haven't found a definitive statement to that effect however, it may be up to
individual departments to have their own policy.  In this climate, with
purchasing decisions removed from employees without extensive reviews, 10% of
our department staff about to be cut, and still $80M out of a $230M university
budget gap to close in this fiscal year, that particular avenue doesn't look
bright and cheery.    (06)

No stone will be left unturned.    (07)

Joel    (08)