uom-ontology-admin

Re: [uom-ontology-admin] FW: SS/7 - More info re Stanard UOM ontology

To: uom-ontology-admin <uom-ontology-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ed Barkmeyer <edbark@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 15:31:15 -0500
I thought I had mentioned this.  I have spoken with both Ambler
Thompson, who is a U.S. representative to ISO TC12 and TC25, and to
Charles Ehrlich, who is on the BIPM task group for the VIM and the GUM.     (01)

Ambler is willing to take to TC12 any issues we have with ISO 80000.
With assistance, he will look at our drafts with respect to their
consistency with ISO 80000, if and when we ask him, but he views the
ontology work as an IT thing that TC12 will ignore as long as it isn't
inconsistent with the SI publications.     (02)

Chuck Ehrlich is willing to serve as our VIM guru and to raise issues of
ambiguities in the BIPM TG.  He believes, however, that we may run
directly into a deliberate ambiguity that is the result of a
disagreement between two camps.  The notion of the "magnitude of a
quantity" as an interpretation of "quantity" is sacred to the
specification camp and heresy to the measurement camp.  The big issue is
about which notion the word "quantity" is used for, and in VIM3 it is
both.  So we are guaranteed to have a political problem when we try to
sort that out.    (03)

-Ed    (04)

Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8263                FAX: +1 301-975-4694    (05)