Re: [oor-forum] OOR and IPR

To: oor-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Till Mossakowski <Till.Mossakowski@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 08:16:12 +0100
Dear Peter,    (01)

let me mention that Ontohub uses the AGPL license. I hope that this is
not a problem for OOR...    (02)

Best, Till    (03)

Am 28.01.2013 20:47, schrieb Peter Yim:
> Gary and All,
>
> Since you mentioned "Mike, as developer" ...
>
> ... I just wanted to reiterate that, for code (unlike "content" or,
> more specifically, ontologies uploaded to an OOR instance), the
> contributed code *must* be "open" and/or "free"
>
> ( ref.
>http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OpenOntologyRepository_IPR#nid2L0U
> )
> Software codes contributed to the OOR effort has to carry the
> "Simplified (two-clause) BSD License" (FreeBSD License).    (2L0U)
>
> * the above will be the default position, unless it is otherwise
> mutually agreed in writing, between an authorized representative of
> the OOR team and the contributor. Such exception, even if agreed upon,
> needs to bind the contributing software codes to a compatible,
> non-reciprocal, "gift," open-source license, such as (included, but
> not limited to) the MIT License, the Apache License version 2.0 or the
> Mozilla Public License 1.1 (MPL);    (2L0V)
> * it is, of course, also acceptable if the software contribution in
> question is in the public domain;    (2L0W)
> * Software libraries, under either "gift" or "reciprocal" open
> software licenses, may also be used in the OOR software or system.
> (2L0X)
>
> Regards. =ppy
> --
>

> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 11:33 AM, Gary Berg-Cross <gbergcross@xxxxxxxxx>
>wrote:
>> Thanks Peter for a clear explanation. As developer mike and as user /PI
>> Nancy should have first thoughts on our policy .
>>
>> Garybc
>

>> On Jan 28, 2013 2:16 PM, "Peter Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Nancy,
>>>

>>> Yes, you got the IPR Policy right! This is it, at:
>>> http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OpenOntologyRepository_IPR#nid2L0S
>>>
>>> As such,
>>>
>>> 1. Any ontology contributed to the open public instance of OOR will
>>> need to be licensed under either one of the following:    (2L0Z)
>>>
>>> * the "Simplified (two-clause) BSD License" (FreeBSD License), or
>>> (2L10)
>>> * the "attribution only" Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY
>>> 3.0 or its successor), or    (2L11)
>>> * the content being contributed is in the public domain.    (2L12)
>>>
>>> 2. If SOCoP-OOR considers itself as one of the public OOR instances,
>>> then it should comply with the above. However, that is optional, as it
>>> is also stated that "Each repository using the OOR software can
>>> specify its own set of acceptable IPR content licenses."
>>>
>>> ... Therefore, if SOCoP-OOR doesn't choose to use the above IPR
>>> Licensing Policy, it can publish it's own, although since "open" is
>>> still a key word, and so calling it an OOR does infer that the content
>>> should still be, somehow, "open" (even if under a different "open"
>>> license.)
>>>
>>> That said, proprietary repositories are allow to use the OOR software
> [...]

Prof. Dr. Till Mossakowski  Cartesium, room 2.51 Phone +49-421-218-64226
DFKI GmbH Bremen                             Fax +49-421-218-9864226
Cyber-Physical Systems                      Till.Mossakowski@xxxxxxx
Enrique-Schmidt-Str. 5, D-28359 Bremen
http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~till/    (05)

principal office, *not* the address for mail etc.!!!:
Trippstadter Str. 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern
management board: Prof. Wolfgang Wahlster (chair), Dr. Walter Olthoff
supervisory board: Prof. Hans A. Aukes (chair)
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313    (06)