Re: [oor-forum] OOR architecture & API Workshop-III - Fri 2011.03.25

To: oor-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 09:12:58 -0500
Todd,    (01)

My concern about that class domain model is that it avoids the
fundamental questions.  Following is just the beginning:    (02)

  1. What is an ontology?    (03)

  2. What is a terminology?    (04)

  3. How are ontologies and terminologies related?    (05)

  4. What is the underlying semantics of an ontology, and
     how is it related to the semantics of a terminology?    (06)

  5. When the same terminology is related to different ontologies,
     the same words may have different definitions in each of
     the ontologies.  How are the discrepancies noted?    (07)

For ontologies, the logical structure is a theory.  And the
fundamental issue is how we relate and represent theories.    (08)

For terminologies, the logical structure is a list of words
with a minimal set of relations among them.  Those relations
are a subset of the relations used in an ontology.  How are
they related?    (09)

When two different applications that use the same terminology
use different ontologies (or no ontologies at all), how are
discrepancies handled?    (010)

Questions about federation, persistence, inference, and workflow
are certainly important.  But you can't begin to answer them
without answering the questions above.    (011)