[oor-forum] OOR-IPR session-3: comments (policy views)

To: OpenOntologyRepository-discussion <oor-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Jamie Clark <jamie.clark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 10:29:58 -0700
On Thu, Sep 30, 2010, Jamie Clark wrote:
> Today's chat is about the OOR "ontology IPR solution"
> strawman, posted yesterday at:
>http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OpenOntologyRepository_IPR/Discussion#nid2I83
>  There's a second thread about proposed community policy &
> legislative statements at:
>http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OpenOntologyRepository_IPR/Discussion#nid2I8C
> * * *    (01)

Again, these are my thoughts so far, without having yet heard the
discussion.  These are contributions in a personal capacity, not
representing OASIS.  Just sending this to make discussion artifacts
easier.    (02)

As for the proposed policy & legislative position paper activity.
While personally I agree with those tenets, I have some doubts about
them showing up here.    (03)

a.  I'm not sure they should be linked to the OOR project, so as to
seem a demand that all OOR participants or contributors also join a
policy campaign.  Which goal is foremost for the OOR group?    (04)

b.  The first proposition ("ontologies should not be patentable") may
still need some work to be optimally convincing.  I think that's a
very worthy project, for a subset of this community who wishes to do
so. Love to join that.  But I wasn't sure the argument is ready for
prime time, based on the prior discussions I've heard.    (05)

c.  While I admit to owning apparel that says 'no software patents'
for a decade or so, I'm not THIS group has a special competency to
make statements about that.  Aren't there already existing groups and
better fora for that campaign?    (06)

d.  I also have a faint sense that, if anything, our broader community
should be saving up our bullets for a re-stated issue about open
information and its economics.  If one wants, for example, to support
Carl Malamud's efforts, a lot of the obstacles his opendata government
work encounters are about economic model, not precisely IPR legalisms.    (07)

Regards  Jamie    (08)

~ James Bryce Clark
~ General Counsel, OASIS
~ http://www.oasis-open.org/who/staff.php#clark  @JamieXML    (09)