Re: [oor-forum] Language, encoding and ontology of OOR messages

To: OpenOntologyRepository-discussion <oor-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: kenb <kenb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 16:34:55 -0400 (EDT)
While I agree that FIPA may be useful, the ACL Message Structure does not
seem to be uniformly applicable. Other than the usual attributes of a
message (sender, receiver, etc.), ACL adds (formal) language, encoding,
ontology and protocol. If one is using web services (i.e., REST or SOAP),
then the protocol and encoding are specified in the WADL or WSDL, so they
would not be in the message. This just leaves the formal language and
ontology. Many of the OOR methods specify an ontology (or ontology
version). However, this ontology is the ontology being operated on (e.g.,
stored or retrieved), not the ontology of the message itself (e.g., OMV).
The ontology of the message is usually determined by which method is being
invoked. Similarly, the formal language is the language of the message,
not the language of the ontology being operated on. While some methods may
require additional parameters to specify a formal language and/or an
ontology, I suggest that they be added on a case-by-case basis.    (01)

-- Ken    (02)

On Sat, 18 Sep 2010, Cameron Ross wrote:    (03)