[oor-forum] Development Model

To: oor-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Farrukh Najmi <farrukh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 15:02:37 -0500
Sorry to have missed the meeting today. Apparently I confused it with Ontology
Summit meeting.    (01)

A common issue in R&D intensive initiatives such as OOR is defining clearly
articulated deliverables and getting the appropriate parties to spend the
effort necessary to produce those deliverables.    (02)

A model I have seen work well is where:    (03)

1. A set of tangible deliverables are established    (04)

2. Participants volunteer for one or more deliverables and offer effort / cost
estimates for the required R&D    (05)

3. Sponsor organizations are identified that wish to make use of the
deliverables. They step up to fund the cost of R&D, thus incenting the
participants to produce the deliverables    (06)

I am glad to see "funding" as a topic for next meeting as it will be essential
to the success of the effort and related to (3) above.
Perhaps for the nest meeting we can add the agenda item:    (07)

-Identify deliverables    (08)

-Identify participants and what they bring to the table    (09)

-Identify potential sponsors    (010)

As Peter suggested we should start a wiki page with sections or pages for each
of above. We should fill in these pages prior to meeting so that we could have
a discussion focused on the proposed items under each of the 3 categories.    (011)

Thanks.    (012)

--
Regards,
Farrukh Najmi    (013)