oor-dev

[oor-dev] OOR-sandbox vm image for easy install [was - Re: BioPortal Cor

To: Tejas Parikh <tejas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bart Gajderowicz <bgajdero@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: OpenOntologyRepository-development <oor-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 20:15:25 -0700
Bart and Tejas,    (01)

Allow me to try to help clarify the situation (correct me if I
misrepresented anyone's position) ...    (02)

1. Bart is hoping to get his hands onto a VMware based OOR-sandbox vm
image for easy installation.    (03)

2. Ken suggested that NEU is making installs of BioPortal-OOR on
VMware-based vm.  He also suggested that someone at NEU is already
working on scripts that will simplify future installations.    (04)

3. the OOR-sandbox at http://oor-01.cim3.net is installed on a Xen
based vm on 64-bit x86 hardware (Opteron) running the CentOS 5.4 Linux
distro.    (05)

4. that is why, during the meeting, Ken suggested that Bart should
contact Tejas to see if:    (06)

  (i)  a VMware-based vm image if the BioPortal-OOR install is (or
could be) available, and    (07)

  (ii) the platform on which that vm image is based, so that Bart can
assess if what he has at Ryerson is compatible*
  ... please advise, Tejas    (08)

(*noting that we had to totally reinstall when moving from oor-01s to
oor-01f because the servers were, respectively, running 32-bit and
64-bit cpu's and OS kernels.)    (09)

5. If Bart has hardware that can run what I have described in 3 above,
we could clone the vm image, and make that available (assuming you
don't mind using Xensource, rather than VMware for virtualization.)
... Shinya can probably provide you with more details (for your
configuration compatibility assessment) on your request.    (010)

Hope this help.    (011)

Regards.  =ppy
--    (012)