[ontology-summit] Optimized SPARQL performance management via native API

To: "ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Blevins, David [USA]" <Blevins_David@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 16:20:42 +0000

Following up on the questions I asked after the presentation titled “Optimized SPARQL performance management via native API” since I did not seem to be asking my questions very clearly.

Question 1: Why was the median used rather than the mean (average)?  I was not able to hear the response very well.  Could someone from the team repeat the answer here?

Question 2: Would reading the full result of the queries introduce artifacts to the data?  Clarification below:

Many database systems will store the results of a query in memory and output the results as requested by an external Input/Output system.  That is to say: a query could be completed, and the results materialized within the database; in these cases, sending the results to the I/O system, and processing those results on the client, would entail additional processing that is not necessarily dependent upon the performance of the database system.  Might this introduce errors (potentially very significant errors) in the data?

Thanks,

David Blevins

Consultant

Booz | Allen | Hamilton