Re: [ontology-summit] Hackathon Invitation: "Ontology Design Patterns an

To: Mike Bennett <mbennett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Ontology Summit 2014 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Mills Davis <mdavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 15:45:22 -0400
Mike,

Count me in. I'll need to participate by dialing in.e
Let me know the time and call-in instructions.

Mills Davis

On Mar 24, 2014, at 2:29 PM, mbennett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Everyone,

We would like to invite you to join a hackathon with a difference. This is
where we will be hacking at the level of pure meaning (!)

We are inviting you to take part in the hackathon titled "Ontology Design
Patterns and Semantic Abstractions in Ontology Integration" which will
take place this coming Saturday, March 29th, as part of this year's
Ontology Summit.

Here is the Hackathon page with details:

http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2014_Hackathon_DesignPatternsAndAbstractions

The aim of this hackathon is to get some hands-on experience with the
issues around re-use of ontology material in the form of reusable
patterns, and the role of semantic abstraction in this. We have chosen a
specific area (risk) which by its nature requires the integration and use
of concepts from multiple subject areas (in particular, patterns for
events, goals and probability).

We will be exploring a number of different tools and notations, including
pure graphical representation of concepts; modeling tools, and RDF/OWL
tools. Tools will include collaborative drawing tools like Cacoo and
CMapTools, and for ontology integration we will use the Visual Ontology
Modeler from Thematix. Participants may create or edit ontologies within
their own RDF/OWL ontology editor such as Protégé or TopBraid Composer.
There is no need for you to pre-install anything for this hackathon.

The plan is to have an opening session where we will define the problem
and identify suitable resources both for concepts and for available data.

This will be followed by a period of time for people to find or develop
ontologies, and then we will have a second collaborative session later in
the day to pull it all together.

Precise times will be agreed by the team, but we will ensure that both
sessions are at a time suitable for folks both in Europe and the US, as a
minimum.

Please mail me at this email address if you wish to participate. Please
get your request in early so we can finalize the meeting times to suit
you.

Best regards,

Mike Bennett

Mills Davis