Re: [ontology-summit] Migration path to controlled natural language tool

To: Ontology Summit 2014 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Gary Berg-Cross <gbergcross@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 11:08:44 -0700
Part of John Sowa's talk on the Track A Reuse topic involved better divisions of labor in knowledge engineering. So for building a Knowledge-based system here recommends:

● Acquire knowledge from structured data, training examples,
 unstructured natural language, and occasional questions.
● Communicate in their preferred notations and diagrams.
● Contact a KE only to report problems or to request new features.

As part of a migration path John recommended  better development methodologies supported by controlled  natural languages can be used effectively by nonprogrammers.
In our session we didn't have time to pursue these ideas as much as I would have liked and
in particular quite a while ago (2004) John has provided some material on "Common Logic Controlled English" that provides a number of examples of this type of CNL based knowledge acquisition that still seems beyond what we do and our tools support.

I think it would be great to take a few steps in that direction and perhaps John can help do that for the Symposium topic summaries.  This crosses the areas or tools and bottlenecks as well as reuse.

Gary Berg-Cross, Ph.D.
NSF INTEROP Project
SOCoP Executive Secretary
Knowledge Strategies