Re: [ontology-summit] OWl and Knowledge reuse via import and modularizat

To: Ontology Summit 2014 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2014 21:42:49 +0000

Gary,

I think you can partially look at existing database conceptual schemas (if they exist; often you just have physical schemas + data dictionaries) and conceptual models (ala UML OO models) as vocabulary, which can then be mapped into ontologies. The formerly burgeoning “Community of Interest (COI)” movement at least in the federal government used that interpretation: not the XML folks, of course, for whom everything is just XML and XSD structural models and there are no ontologies in general, but for ontologists in the COI effort.

With OO models typically you have less “distance” to go to map to ontologies, but you still have some – in particular since DB conceptual models have often moved from ER/EER/etc. to UML models. Nearly always in DB and OO  (conceptual) models you have data- and system-specific semantics (i.e., local semantics that combines real-world notions with local notions).  Folks such as Giancarlo Guizzardi have tried to explicitly bridge the conceptual model to ontology gap more formally.

Often in our own work, we try to intuit/analyze and then develop or “project” a “local ontology” from the given database (some folks would call this an “application ontology”, e.g., Barry Smith and his folks; others would call this a “semantic wrapper” on the local data source), using semantic/ontological analysis over the existing resources: often just historical documents, data dictionaries, talking with DBAs, end users, and developers (whose programming code provides much of the  “semantics” of the database). Why this informal method? Because generally models are not kept except as drawings in desk drawers, an unfortunate fact of life for legacy databases and legacy systems.  It’s a craft, not an engineering discipline yet, but there are some engineering principles in play.

Then this “local ontology” is more easily mapped to the real ontology/ies, which typically spans multiples databases and thus multiple “local ontologies”.

Thanks,

Leo