Re: [ontology-summit] Presenting diverse data sets as linked data - hack

To: Ontology Summit 2014 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ivan Kurmanov <duraley@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 17:45:06 +0300
Victor,

So, it sounds like you want to explore a way to build flexible, adaptable (configurable, probably) interface to various kinds of data.

Like, as if we take

1. source data
2. mapping to an ontology (esp. ISO 15926-2)
3. some set of data presentation rules or configuration, that is easy to modify

and try to produce a human-friendly web interface based on all the above?

So the real challenge is going to be to design (and implement) a language for presentation rules for various data?

A set of such rules could accompany an ontology and increase the value of both the data and the ontology, i believe. Sounds interesting to me.

-ivan

2014-02-06 Victor Agroskin <vic5784@xxxxxxxxx>:
Ivan,

> Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 16:29:35 +0300
> From: Ivan Kurmanov <duraley@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [ontology-summit] Presenting diverse data sets as linked
>         data - hackathon idea
>
> Hi Victor and everyone,
>
> So, in simple terms, your idea is to take an existing dataset or several,
> map them to the ISO15929 ontology, and make a nice human-friendly web
> interface to it?

Not so simple :-) I'm not interested in the solution of a static
problem - to take several datasets and design a nice representation
for data. Assume there appears a new dataset with partially different
data model. I need an approach and instruments which will allow me to
redesign a page look to reflect newly discovered relations. Or assume
there is a new dataset with new types of entities in it. They'll
require completely different page design - other relations deemed
essential, other classifiers seen as primary classifiers, etc.

> It could be similar to freebase.com in some ways? What
> would be the difference?

I'm not familiar with freebace.com. But at first look its data model
is extensible much like RDF model is, without restrictions. My models
do have modelling restrictions from ISO 15926-2 ontology.

But the main question is the following - is freebase concept page
content (template, look and feel) easily managed in terms of governing
ontology? Can I select relations to show, define inheritance along
some of them? Can I look for patterns and visualize only nodes linked
to my concept with chains of length 3, and so on.

If not - this is the difference. If yes - probable freebase can be a
good platform to compete in the same task.

Regards,
Victor Agroskin
TechInvestLab.ru