Re: [ontology-summit] [Reusable Content] Characterizing or measuring reu

To: Ontology Summit 2014 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Wartik, Steven P \"Steve\"" <swartik@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 17:12:39 -0500

Leo,

The comparison to software reuse is perhaps revealing. One of the problems with software reuse was that no one really knew what it meant. Many people thought reuse was about cutting and pasting source code. Others thought it was about libraries. I recall a mid-80’s workshop near Lake Placid, NY where someone finally said in exasperation, “I brushed my teeth this morning. Did I reuse my toothbrush?” He got a laugh but no definitive response.

I can think of my own definitions of what reuse might mean in semantic technologies, but first I’d like to know of any existing work on the subject. I have seen plenty of papers on modular ontology design and such things that talk about ontology reuse but never actually say what “reuse” means. It must be something more than an owl:imports assertion (right?). Whatever it is, it certainly isn’t the full definition in Webster’s.

Steve Wartik