[ontology-summit] Fwd: [tetherless] TWed This Week (Weds, 7p): "Semantic

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: James Michaelis <michaj6@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 21:34:14 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [tetherless] TWed This Week (Weds, 7p): "Semantic Web Development Methodology in Practice: The I-Choose Ontology as a Use Case"
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2013 22:17:21 -0400
From: John Erickson <erickj4@xxxxxxx>
To: Tetherless World <tetherless@xxxxxxxxxx>, Undergrads <tetherless-ugrad@xxxxxxxxxx>

"There's always something happening Wednesday evenings in the Tetherless World!"

Please join us Wednesday, 7p in Winslow 1140 for a very special TWed led by a team of collaborators from the University of Albany and TWC RPI: "Semantic Web Development Methodology in Practice: The iChoose Ontology as a Use Case"

DESCRIPTION: For this TWed talk, we will introduce the NIST-funded Generalized Ontology Evaluation Framework (GOEF) as well as discuss its application in ontology-oriented projects. GOEF features a 2-stage approach for evaluating ontologies: First, to recast a formalized use case into its components, and second, to evaluate a target ontology against these components using objective metrics.

Prior to discussing GOEF, we will first provide an overview of one of its case study systems.  I-Choose is a current NSF funded research project at the Center for Technology in Government (CTG) at the University of Albany, aimed at developing an interoperable data framework to support smart consumer choices focusing on sustainable third party certification. Subsequently, we will present one use case of I-Choose specifically focusing on the case of a customer advocate verifying compliance to Fairtrade certification criteria for child labor and the ontology related to it.

Following discussion of I-Choose, we will then present GOEF in the context of existing Semantic Web development methodologies. We will apply the 2-staged approach of GOEF to describing the following things: (i) the functional objective of a use case, (ii) its design objective and requirements specification, and (iii) the semantic components required by the use case. We will then identify objective metrics for evaluating the semantic components pertinent to I-Choose use case. Finally, we will conclude our presentation by outlining the role of provenance in both I-Choose and GOEF.

PRESENTER BIOGRAPHIES:
Nicolau dePaula: Nic is a PhD student in Information Science at the University at Albany. His interests are in e-government, knowledge management, and information policy.

James Michaelis: James is a research assistant and PhD student in RPI's Tetherless World Constellation Lab, working under Professors Deborah McGuinness and James Hendler.  His research is centered on the design of explanation interfaces for intelligence gathering systems. Additionally, he has conducted prior work on techniques for logging processing activities within Semantic Web enabled systems.

Grace Begany: Grace is a first-year student in the Information Science PhD Program at the University of Albany.  Her primary specialization is in Knowledge Organization and Management with a secondary specialization in Information in Government and Democratic Society. She is currently a graduate assistant in the Department of Informatics handling a variety of duties related to the administration of the Information Science PhD program. Grace holds a Master’s degree in Journalism, with a specialty in Science and Environmental Reporting, from New York University and a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology-Biology from Mount Holyoke College

Djoko Sigit Sayogo: Djoko is PhD student at Rockefeller College of Public Administration and Policy and graduate assistant at the Center for Technology in Government, the University at Albany, SUNY. He is currently involved in the I-Choose research project at the Center for Technology in Government. His research interests include e-government, collaborative network, and data sharing.

Jana Hrdinova: Jana is a Program Associate at the Center for Technology in Government. University at Albany, SUNY

Joanne Luciano: Joanne is a Research Associate Professor in the Tetherless World Constellation, the Principal Investigator for GOEF, and the I-CHOOSE Ontology Development advisor.

========
====
TWed Logistics (Spring 2013):
TWed schedule: http://tw.rpi.edu/web/twed#schedule* 7p-9p, 1st floor
Winslow (1140)
* We try to alternate TWed Talks with TWed Hackspaces. The alternating
pattern of TWed Talks and TWed Hackspaces may "off" due to leader
availability and Institute scheduling.
* Pizza or snacks will be provided for TWed Talks
* Live video streams of TWed Talks will usually be available via ustream
* An archive of past TWed Talks are also available on ustream. Direct
links can be found in the schedule (below)
TWed Talks from previous terms are archived; topical archive coming soon!

====
About TWed:
* "TWed Talks" are informal overview talks and tutorials on topics of
interest to the Tetherless World community. TWed gives members of the
lab the chance to share tools and expertise. TWed talks are not
lectures; they are expected to be highly interactive and fun. TWed
leaders are encouraged to include live "hack" activities in their
session plans.
* "TWed Hackspaces" during the TWed time are informal group work
sessions inspired by the Hackerspace movement. This is a time when TWC
people will "be around" and you can rely on the "right" people being
available to answer your questions and help with your hacks. This is
also a great opportunity for project teams to "hack" together on
problems, with the knowledge and resources of TWC surrounding you.

--
John S. Erickson, Ph.D.
Director, Web Science Operations