[ontology-summit] {Communiqué} Summit-org discussions for a wider commun

To: Ontology Summit 2013 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "terry.longstreth" <terry.longstreth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2013 02:47:12 -0500

At Friday's Ontology Summit organizing committee meeting, the conversation drifted into territories that we felt were better explored with the whole of the Summit community.  Among other things, we started discussing the content and organization of the communiqué.  The current draft of the communiqué is here.

To bring the rest of you into the discussion (and as penance for being one of the straying), I accepted the charge to extract appropriate highlights and exchanges from our chat session and post them here.  We hope they will generate some discussion on this forum, as well as suggestions about the final form and content of the communiqué.  Some of the conversation was not recorded in the chat, and in other places, the chat wasn't in the order of the verbal exchanges, so this ordering is my attempt to organize the threads for consistency.  I've used {braces} around editorial additions.

Terry Longstreth

Communiqué Discussion Threads

  1. Style and Structure:
    • The proposed structure {being discussed; the current version is at the URL in the opening of this note } (Todd Schneider)
      1.  Executive Summary
      2.  Introduction
        1.  Why is ontology evaluation important?
        2.  What is the scope of this document?
      3. The State of the Art of Ontology Evaluation
        1. What are the desirable characteristics of ontologies and how are they measured?
        2. What best practices should one adopt to ensure that ontologies have the desirable characteristics in (3.1)?
        3. What tool-support is currently available to support the evaluation of the characteristics and the best practices identified in (3.1) and (3.2)?

    •  Suggest Scope (section 2) focus on uses of ontologies in system(s) perspectives (Terry Longstreth)

    • Tracks' framing works against the type of example-based, cross-cutting discussion described {by Michael Gruninger, verbally} No such thing will be within Track topics A, B, or D, certainly. (Amanda Vizedom)

    • We should Illustrate evaluation approaches with real ontologies (Michael Gruninger)

    • ... in order to elicit such example applications, the champions would need to shift emphasis explicitly in their communications with speakers about what's most important (e.g., push the "intrinsic" "extrinsic" issues back. (Amanda Vizedom)

    • We are torn between a "advance ontology research" agenda and a "advance ontology's adoption into the main stream" agenda ... the recognition (by Fabian and Amanda) that the Communique scope does not have to totally match the OntologySummit2013 scope would definitely help mitigate this dissonance - and I strongly support that (Peter Yim)

    • Some are approaching this from the 'industrial use' perspective. Others are more concerned with research. Could we separate the communique into two sections based on usage? (Terry Longstreth)

    • We always suggest that the ontologist(s) provide natural language descriptions of the primitives, and examples, and references/pointers to related discussions (e.g., the different notions of event in the literature; or other ontologies' use or closest approximation). Given 2 ontologies, one may have that, one may not, and it may actually be that the one that doesn't is the better ontology. So perhaps necessary and sufficient conditions are better? (Leo Obrst)

    • I think that identifying those, to the extent that we have consensus on them, is a good idea. I also think it is important to make explicit that these are not usually enough; for any given use, an ontology should be evaluated according to these AND additional characteristics derived from operational requirements. (Amanda Vizedom)

    • a generally sound process can start from the operational needs, and demonstrate the importance of the requirements they don't meet. (Amanda Vizedom)

    • Recommendations? How about some general notions (of evaluation) that should be applied at the different lifecycle phases? (Todd Schneider)

    • Maybe focus on (generally) necessary and sufficient evaluation criteria at lifecycle points.(Leo Obrst)

    • We need to differentiate between the lifecycle of the ontology and role of (1 or more) ontologies across systems and enterprise lifecycles. (Terry Longstreth)

  2. Intrinsic/Extrinsic Dichotomy:
    • Track A found that intrinsic and extrinsic are arbitrary endpoints perhaps, but are not worth much for gauging criteria except at the extreme endpoints, that most everything falls in-between, and that really nearly every criterion applies at each point in the lifecycle, but differently. (Leo Obrst)

    • Disagree with the implication that extrinsics have no standalone value. Black Box testing may be a necessary precursor to problem isolation and identification. Comparing the performance/functional attributes of
      one (ontology based) system to another (without ontology) may provide insights into the strengths or weaknesses of the ontology based solution. (Terry Longstreth)

    • I think that an engineering-sound requirements analysis of existing semantic apps, including many we might intuitively say are crap, will find that there are technical "intrinsic" requirements entailed but not met
      (Amanda Vizedom)

    • The most important extrinsic property is functional / requirements satisfaction (Terry Longstreth)

    • extrinsic properties are dependent on intrinsic properties, and perhaps distinct ones given distinct extrinsic criteria. E.g., consistency may not be important, or adherence to the general requirements of a knowledge representation language if ultimately one will use different semantics, say in FOL, logic programming, etc. So one may not explicitly put in disjointness constraints, etc. (Leo Obrst)