[ontology-summit] Fwd: Re: [ontology-summit-org] OntologySummit2013: Ont

To: Ontology Summit 2013 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "terry.longstreth" <terry.longstreth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 23:00:25 -0500
While I was preparing the table below, Todd and Leo started a dialogue on the summit-org list on the same topic, so I've included their exchange after the Table.
I hope to be able to do little more research and propose a reasonable synthesis lifecycle.  I probably won't make it into any of the live panel sessions, but we can discuss it on this list.
Terry

This table is the result of my review of the presentations from the first four track panels.  I collected all references to Lifecycle (or in one case, simply 'cycle').  I didn't review the 'mid-term' presentations from this week (22 Feb), and because I was pressed for time, I didn't look at any of the session chairs' intro charts

My purpose was to illustrate that there are many perspectives on Lifecycle. I think it's clear that we don't have a clear consensus on the meaning of Lifecycle expressed in the Summit title.

Terry

Day Track Presenter Lifecycle Label Phases NOTES
24 Jan B Schneider No

Polzer Ontology Life Cycle Phase Dimensions (1)The need for, and scope of, an ontology have been developed
(2)Some portion of the formal representation of the ontology has been developed
(3)All of the planned formal representation is complete
(4)The ontology is populated with instance data
(5)Reasoners have used the ontology to achieve real-world results
(6)The ontology is in operational use
(7)The ontology is evolving based on feedback from operational use

Balboni Black Box Testing Paradigm (1)Unit Test
(2)Integration
(3)Functional
(4)System
(5)Acceptance
(5)BETA

Katsumi Lifecycle to support the development of expressive Ontologies Design
Requirements
Verification
Tuning
Application

31 Jan A Poveda No

Tartir No

Duque-Ramos No

7 Feb C Smith No

Partridge No

Levenchuk (1) Life Cycle Data Pyramid Data Model 201
Base Templates ~ 2000
Base Data ~ 200 thousands items
Specialized Data Standard: ~ millions
Specialized Data Non-standard (Proprietary): ~ tens of millions
Project Data ~ billions

Levenchuk (2) ISO 15926 Equipment Life-Cycle Stage 1 – Standardization and Supplier's Catalog
Stage 2 – Typical Design
Stage 3 – Particular Plant Design
Stage 4 – Plant Procurement
Stage 5 – Plant Operations

Levenchuk (3) Mapping Methodology: Place in the Life Cycle Process Design
Plant Design and Detailed Engineering
Procurement and Construction
Operations and Maintenance

Bennett No

14 Feb D Denny Ontology Development Phases Exploration Phase
Management Phase -
Design Phase
Build Phase
Validation Phase
Integration & Use Phase
Maintenance Phase
Each Phase described in one or more pages.

Gruninger No

Holm No

Matthews Ontology and Architecture Evaluation Cycle •Before check-in, locally
• Within the hour, from source control (CruiseControl)
– Validation
• Nightly build and index
– Validation
– Search Quality: Automated, black box, TREC methodology
– Unit tests: Automated, glass box, semantic, regression and functional
• Fortnightly push to production
– Validation, search quality, unit tests
• Monthly QA cycle