[ontology-summit] Ontology Summit Track A: Metric Application (session 3

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Megan Katsumi <katsumi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 13:20:26 -0500
Hi All -

I'd like to pose a question regarding the (quality) evaluation metrics that we saw in session 3, and potentially for any related presentations that we may see in the next session for this track:

Have any associated methodologies or guidelines been developed to address how these metrics should be applied in practice?  Specifically, I am interested in what occurs after the metrics' values have been obtained.  How are we to interpret the results of these approaches in order to make decisions about the ontology that we are designing / have designed?  Is the ontology developer expected to attempt to optimize these metrics?  If so, how?  Are there any use cases that demonstrate the value of this sort of application of evaluation metrics?

Regards,
Megan Katsumi