[ontology-summit] Ontology Summit 2011: "Perspectives from the European

To: Ontology Summit 2011 <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 19:59:35 -0700
Re: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2011_03_17    (01)

= *REMINDER* =    (02)

Coming up this Thursday, Mar-17, starting 9:30am PDT / 12:30pm EDT /
5:30pm CET / 4:30pm GMT / 16:30 UTC, is the Ontology Summit
2011virtual session-7, where we will be getting some "Perspectives
from the European Commission."    (03)

Dr. Nicola Guarino (ISTC-CNR, Italy and President of IAOA)has
organized this session for us. Our invited speakers are Dr. Márta
Nagy-Rothengass, Head of Technologies for Information Management for
the European Commission's Information Society and Media (INFSO)
Directorate-General, and Dr. Stefano Bertolo from the same INFSO-DG
Unit (someone who is intimately familiar with the type of work this
community is embarking upon.) The title of their talk is: "Thoughts
without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind but
you must set priorities and budgets for what you want to look at (with
an eye to the EU's Digital Agenda and apologies to Kant)."    (04)

I definitely wouldn't want to miss this session!    (05)

See details at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2011_03_17    (06)

... RSVP now (if you haven't already) by adding your name to the wiki
or email me <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx> to register your attendance.    (07)

****************** Headlines ***********************    (08)

The next few irtual sessions featured as part of
the Ontology Summit 2011 program:    (09)

* 2011_03_17 - Thursday: OntologySummit2011: Vision Session-8 -
"Perspectives from the European Commission" - Chair: Nicola Guarino
- Invited Speakers: Marta Nagy-Rothengass and Stefano Bertolo -
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2011_03_17    (010)

* 2011_03_10 - Thursday: OntologySummit2011: Panel Session-9 - "Grand
Challenges" - (Track-5) Co-chairs: Ram Sriram, Ernie Lucier & Alden Dima
 - http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2011_03_24    (011)

* 2011_03_31 - Thursday: OntologySummit2011: All Hands
"Synthesis and Reports" - ConferenceCall_2011_03_31    (012)

* for subsequent events, please check out the "News and Announcements"
sections on the OntologWiki at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nidW ... for a
most up-to-date schedule of activities.    (013)

*Register your attendance* by emailing <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx> off-line
or register yourself directly to the wiki session page. Please specify
the date of name of the session(s) you are registering for. ... RSVP    (014)

********************* Details ************************    (015)

This is our 6th Ontology Summit, a joint initiative by NIST, Ontolog,
NCOR, NCBO, IAOA & NCO_NITRD along with the support of our
co-sponsors. The theme adopted for this Ontology Summit is: "Making
the Case for Ontology." These virtual sessions are part of the
proceedings of the Summit, where contributions, both by the panelists
and the participants, are pooled with the online discussion, analyzed,
synthesized, and compiled into a body of knowledge, that will,
hopefully, be useful to the community at large.    (016)

These sessions, like all other Ontolog virtual events, are open and
free of charge. Anyone who is interested, or (better still) who may
have something to contribute, is welcome. Please refer to event
details on the session pages, to which the hyperlink is given above,
where you will find session agenda, conference call dial-in, slides
and other pertinent information. Feel free to pass this invitation
along to colleagues who may also find these sessions to be of
interest.    (017)

*RSVP* by emailing Peter Yim at <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx> offline (or add
yourself directly to the session page if you are already an Ontolog or
Ontology Summit community member) so that we can prepare enough
resources to support everyone. [Please state clearly the date of the
session you are registering for in your email.] ... All respondents
will be subscribed (if they aren't already so) to the
[ontology-summit] mailing list so they are participate in the virtual
discourse.    (018)

These sessions will be recorded and made available in a publicly
accessible archive. Therefore, before participating, please make sure
you are cognizant of our IPR policy ( ref:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nid32 ).    (019)

Regards.  =ppy    (020)

Peter Yim
Co-convener, Ontolog    (021)

For and on behalf of the    (022)

Members of the
OntologySummit2011 Organizing Committee    (023)

p.s. full proceedings (including agenda, slides, in-session chat
transcript, audio recordings, etc.) for the Ontology Summit 2011
Launch Event (Jan-20) and all the earlier panel sessions are
already on our archives. You can find them at the Ontology Summit 2011
homepage
at: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2011
... if you missed the chance coming to these sessions in real time,
you can always participate asynchronously by accessing the archives.
--    (024)