Re: [ontology-summit] Fwd: Ontologist Aptitude Test?

To: Ontology Summit 2010 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Joel Bender <jjb5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 15:25:05 -0500
Pierre,    (01)

> Surely every ontologist should have created an ontology, be able to explain
>their modelling choices, compare to what they found out there and so on as
>well as to have a vague idea of how it might be used. That could be a
>short-thesis.    (02)

I agree that every potential ontologist (since we haven't determined if they
really are one yet) should be able to present one or more ontologies and
support their design decisions.  A very good thesis would also explain the
tradeoffs that were made by the decision.    (03)

While it is necessary, I would be hesitant to trust a scale produced by
interpreting an essay, unless it was defended before a trusted group.  It's
hard enough interpreting the smattering of acronyms on a resumé, and I wouldn't
trust myself to be able to pick out terminology hand waving.  What is nice
about "answer me these questions three" is that for better or worse, you know
the person answered the questions.    (04)

> This should allow demonstrating familiarity with relevant tools, but tools
>are varied and what matters is the ability to learn them as need arises.    (05)

I'm not convinced that you can test for the ability to learn a tool, only that
you have demonstrated proficiency with a specific tool.  But that doesn't mean
that being a Certified Cisco Network Engineer is irrelevant when looking for a
supervisor of HP networking equipment, because it demonstrates that someone has
the patience and persistence.  I'm interested in knowing that if somebody says
they have the aptitude for being an ontologist, has anyone put that to a test?
What were the questions?    (06)

> I hope, at any rate, there will never be any multiple choice tests in serious
>ontology teaching...    (07)

I wouldn't go that far, especially during teaching.  Multiple choices tests are
perfect when there is a definitive answer.  The simplest I can think of off the
cuff, "Does the sample ontology in part A involve open- or closed-world
assumptions?"  (and the word "involve" might not be the right one)    (08)

Joel    (09)