Re: [ontology-summit] pdf of Summit presentation

To: Ontology Summit 2009 <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 09:59:18 -0700
[moving this very interesting follow-up conversation from the summit
workshop to this list ... please continue the dialog.  Tx.  =ppy]    (01)

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 18:20:52 +0200
From: John Bateman <bateman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Deborah MacPherson <debmacp@xxxxxxxxx>
CC: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>,
        "MacPherson, Deborah" <dmacpherson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
        Lieberman Joshua <jlieberman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
        Steve Ray <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
        Michelle Raymond <michellearaymond@xxxxxxxxx>,
        Rex Brooks <rexb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, David Coggeshall <ibcomm@xxxxxxx>,
        Bob Smith <bobsmithttl@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: pdf of Summit presentation    (02)

> By the way Deborah: I think your overheads from the
> Summit are just great! All I can say is yes, yes
> and yes.    (03)

>> The issue today is modularity.
>
> Very nice to hear that in the ontology-and-standards
> discussion. We are putting together a small European
> standards proposal at present precisely to get an
> expert group together to address certain
> issues of modularity, methods and best
> practices for supporting
> modularity across what we term 'strongly
> heterogenous domains': it would be good to
> have your input on that. We're focusing on
> the Ambient Assisted Living domain as
> a testbed as here there is also a need to
> get very diverse devices, building design,
> user activities and requirements, etc. to
> be interoperable. So here your point:    (04)

>> Everything seems to be working together fairly well, but Building
>> Information is having interoperability problems.
>> Unlike geospatial data, building data does not have a common point of
>> origin.
>
> is spot on. This is where we see strong heterogeneity
> needing to come in.
>
> Anyway, just an immediate response,
> Best,
>
> John B.