Re: [ontology-summit] Request update to STEP description in communique

To: "Ontology Summit 2009" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Figay Nicolas" <nicolas.figay@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 08:00:30 +0200
Hi David,    (01)

Could you precise what you mean by Reifying relationships vs. Named graphs?    (02)

Working on OWL binding for STEP application protocols, I agree that something
is to be done concerning specialized properties dealing with functional
decomposition, breakdowns for production preparation and assemblies
description, especially because we have to take account temporal (description
of to be real (physical instances) system) and usage (decomposition of eBOM and
mBOM are different).    (03)

When dealing with ontology language such as OWL, we are defining or a
classification (OWL Light), or a semantic graph (OWL Full) or an ontology using
Description Logic. But provided modeling constructs are not rich enough for the
need of Computer Aider Design and Manufacturing (UML or SysML are more suited
but are not "semantic" nor support Descriptive Logic). In reverse, Descriptive
Logic constraint (a thing can't be at the same time individual, property and
classe) makes it difficult to deal with the concept of "instantiation" which
must be different from "is a" concept use with DL, in particular because
different viewpoints are considered by designers and manufacturers (product
instance, item instance...). Changing viewpoint, a class is for example
becoming an individual. How to deal with that?    (04)

Of course, OWL and DL are not the only ways to model ontologies. I think that
some extensions should be provided for designer usage.    (05)

Regards.    (06)

Nicolas Figay
EADS     (07)