[ontology-summit] STEP applications protocoles and OWL

To: <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Figay Nicolas" <nicolas.figay@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 16:52:08 +0100

Dear ontology and manufacturing standards communities,

After attending OntologySummit2009 Panel Session - "Standards Community Perspectives Toward Ontology-based Standards" - Thu 19-Mar-2009  as a Panelist, I will present during teleconf “Toward Ontology-based Standards - A Synthesis”, the idea of STEP APs formalization as OWL ontology ARM+AIM+ ARM AIM Mapping + Modules + Conformance Classes/Options

Such proposal is based on some research activities (ATHENA, SEINE, Internal Studies) and continuous surveys on what is going on related to STEP and ontologies:Exff, Epistle, POSC-CAESAR,PLCS,S-TEN, EXPRESS profile at OMG, etc.

It is also based on the exercise consisting in building a DEX for OASIS PLCS and analyzing existing resources and trying to use it.

It is finally based on my thesis (done with LIRIS, with Parisa  Ghodous) about interoperability of technical enterprise applications  for which issue related to heterogeneity of modeling language all  along the life cycle of an application is identified as a source of non interoperability.

So that the idea is to address semantic preservation despite several language are used to describe the same things within a family of inter-related standards (e.g. PLM services, AP214 which are using EXPRESS, UML, XML Schema…).

We are currently exploiting some formalization of the protocols in RDF-XML to take advantage of emerging facilities on the WEB (reasoner,sparql engines, large triple stores…) and a semantic repository is  being developed on the basis of lesson learnt from previous research.

Due to current discussion and project dealing with ontology based standards, I would like to share the lesson learnt, identified added value of usage of Ontologies but also some identified weakness (in particular using OWL) – and discuss with the community about potential interest of keeping advantage of OWL to produce new complementary formalization of application protocols standard as part of a “semantic repository”.

You could refer to the presentation made available at http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/OntologySummit2009/OntologySummit2009_StandardsPanel_20090319/Semantic-PLM--NicolasFigay_20090319.pdf

And of my activities at

http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?NicolasFigay

Nicolas Figay

EADS Innovation Work

Interoperability Expert for PLM and associated standards