Re: [ontology-summit] escalating IPR issues

To: "Ontology Summit 2008" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 03:04:42 -0400
>  In a collaborative project, the amount of bookkeeping necessary
>  to keep track of every idea is overwhelming.  Therefore, the
>  working groups for standards bodies, such as ANSI and ISO, insist
>  that *nobody* is given any individual attribution.  When Pat,
>  Chris, I, and many others worked on the ISO standard for Common
>  Logic, none of our names are even listed on the standard.    (01)

yes John - no problem with the above, the case here under discussion however is
different.

>   > attribution, is a moral right...
>
>  That may be true.  But if you join an ANSI or ISO working
>  group, you must agree to give up any right of getting specific
>  recognition of your contribution.  All contributions are thrown
>  into the common pot.    (02)

i have seen no such policy on this forum so far. so if contributions
have been made to a topic under current IPR policy, they should be
acknowledged
future changes to IPR policy will apply to work developed after the
new policy takes place    (03)

>  If you want to protect your right, you have a simple choice:
>  (1) don't join the group, or (2) don't say anything.

under the current policy of Ontolog, this is not true - cause
attribution is 'protected'    (04)

>  But if you do join the group and you do contribute anything,
>  the only recognition you get is your name listed on a long
>  list with everybody else's name and no indication of what
>  ideas you or anybody else contributed.    (05)

thats why I contend was not accomplished, OOR discussions were not referencing
contributions to the discussions made on this forum and wiki, a
specified earlier
(that preceded the summit this year by at least one year, and that
were 'forgotten'

>  If you want specific recognition, publish your books and
>  articles elsewhere.    (06)

which is what we all do, in addition to be discussing  each other's
contributions  and work
on this forum    (07)

pdm    (08)

Paola Di Maio