Re: [ontology-summit] escalating IPR issues

To: "Ontology Summit 2008" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 21:09:40 -0400
Hi John
in principle, it would be fine to discuss such a policy, but there are
a few probs    (01)

1, attribution, is a moral right, which has different status in
different countries
(have studied this subject at length, as I write licensing agreements
and provide occasional consulting services etc)    (02)

 according to berne convention,which rules as main set of
international guidelines across jurisdictions, such right is
inalinable
this means, authorship may not be claimed or enforced, but it never ceases    (03)

like a relationship between parents and children can never cease.
there are several reasons why this happens, one of them is that people
must be responsible, ultimately, for what they say, even when that
does not generate immediate consequences or economic advantage    (04)

fyi, the creative commnes license has recently being amended to
address this issue above,    (05)

2.. your points below are in conflict with each other - so technically
this policy as outlined below would be invalid, in case of an invalid
license, standard copyright law is used as default    (06)

3. you may want to refine some of your ideas below, but its complex
and expensive in terms of effort. we adopt creative commons which
gives us the flexibility to add some clauses since just recently (see
recent revisions to cc)    (07)

ultimately,  commons sense , good will, and good practice  need to be
advocated and enforced with all available means,    (08)

pdm    (09)

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 8:55 PM, John F. Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I suggest we simplify all the issues by adopting a very
>  simple policy along the following lines:
>
>     Any author who submits any comment or note to any
>     forum or wiki sponsored by the OOR agrees to the
>     following conditions:
>
>     1. The original author retains the copyright to his
>        or her original work.
>
>     2. But any author who submits his or her work as
>        a comment or email note grants a nonexclusive
>        license to the OOR for use or reuse in all
>        further discussion on any OOR forum or wiki.
>
>     3. The OOR may authorize any further copying,
>        redistribution, or compilation of any or all
>        notes and comments submitted under this policy
>        either with or without citation of the original
>        authors.
>
>  With this policy, citing the original author is
>  optional.  It's polite to do so, but if it's hard
>  to trace the chain of quotations, there is no
>  obligation to do so.
>
>  A policy along the above lines automatically
>  eliminates all the problems.  Anybody who objects
>  has a simple way to protect his or her ideas:
>  read the messages without saying anything.
>
>  John Sowa

Paola Di Maio
School of IT
www.mfu.ac.th