[ontology-summit] PaolaDiMaio's IPR issues [was - Re: Ontolog IPR issues

To: "paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx" <paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx>, "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Ontology Summit 2008 <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 16:28:32 -0700
Pat, Paola & All,    (01)

Let's separate the two issues ... (1) Ontolog's IPR Policy, and (2)
Paola DiMaio's IPR issues.    (02)

(1) Ontolog's IPR Policy:    (03)

>  [PatC]  I recommend that the IPR policy of Ontology be changed to ...    (04)

[ppy]  Thank you for the suggestions. Under ordinary circumstances, we
could, and should take your suggestions and seriously consider and
debate their merit. However I suggest this is not the time.    (05)

Ontolog's IPR have been practically unchanged since Sep-2002, and it
is as sound as ever. Actually, it does protect all of us from
situations like the one we are seeing. We should not make attempt to
shift our stand, lest such action may be erroneously be taken as an
admission of some wrong-doing which no one has done.    (06)

>  [PatC]   I really really don't want to spend any time at all researching the
>  meanings of any "open" IPR legalese, and then keeping a record of everything
>  that has been said, and searching it everytime I post anything in a public
>  forum, for fear that I might infringe someone's rights.    (07)

[ppy]  you don't have to (spend time research, keep record of
everything, ... etc. etc.)
Anyone and everyone is protected with the current Ontolog IPR policy,
unless he/she starts plagiarizing ... and that has to be significant
chunks of text, diagrams, etc. ( ... words, short phrases, don't even
come into the picture when one talks about copyrights or patents.)    (08)

 (2) Paola DiMaio's IPR issues: ... [ attn: Paola Di Maio (hereinafter
"Paola") ]    (09)

This is more serious ... (because this has disrupted an otherwise very
civilized environment that we have been working in for more than six
years.)    (010)

A. ... because Paola DiMaio has made unsubstantiated accusations here,
while, at the same time, she seems to be ignorant of the pertinent IPR
laws, and incapable of reading or comprehending messages that have
been written by various members of this community (including myself)
that specifically tried to address her issues.    (011)

B.  ... I have therefore reduced my findings to two simple substantiated claims:
ref. details at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontology-summit/2008-05/msg00025.html#nid02    (012)

 (i)  Paola DiMaio has no copyrights on the label "open ontology"    (013)

 (ii) Paola DiMaio does have copyrights on the page content at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?action=browse&id=PaolaDiMaio/Towards_OpenOntology&revision=5
... but no one (around here) has infringed on it, to date.    (014)

C.  ... I have also request that Paola should: (i) do her due
diligence, (ii) consult a legal professional conversant in IPR
matters, (iii) substantiate her claims, and (iv) then consider talking
the matter over with me (mainly because I am taking responsibility,
and I think she thinks I am at fault) on a separate archived mailing
list ... which, to date, she has not responded. ... Again, we should
take this conversation off the list, because we are wasting much too
much time already, of many of my respected colleagues here on her
unsubstantiated claims.    (015)

D.  ... I have advised Paola that she has made a statement in an
earlier wiki post, that actually violates the Ontolog IPR Policy (ref.
http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontology-summit/2008-05/msg00020.html#nid026
). Therefore, Paola, please treat this as my third request and
warning. Kindly remove the said statement within 7 calendar days as of
the timestamp of this message, or I may remove that entire page (as
the CWE Administrator) without further notice. [ However,when I do
that, I will save a snapshot and its version history as future
evidence. ]    (016)

E. ... Paola, since you mentioned you have other work that you are not
sharing, I would want you to be aware of the fact that anything posted
on Ontolog, if it does not specify another open source, free software
or open content license, defaults to Licensing and IPR protection
under Open Content License (OPL), Version 1.0 (ref.
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nid32 ), which
stipulates that if you had copied any Ontolog "Open Content," your
work also needs to be Licensed under OPL v1.0 ... therefore, you had
better review those work to make sure you have not lifted chunks of
text, diagrams, tables, etc. from the collective body of work here,
contributed by individual Ontolog members ... because if you had, you
are infringing on the respective individuals' copyrights. Besides
making proper attribution, those work of yours actually need to be
"open" too (under OPL v1.0)! ... Now, my question: Paola, have you
published or distributed any "non-open" work where Ontolog members'
work (as they shared it in the Ontolog collaborative work environment)
have been copied? ... Yes or No?    (017)

Paola, if you are considering responding to this, please hold off ...
and just let me know your desire to do C above, I will then start the
new archived mailing list, and we can talk there.    (018)

Regards. =ppy
--    (019)