[ontology-summit] [ont-of-ont] why limit the formalisms used to express

To: Ontology Summit 2008 <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Michael Gruninger <gruninger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 11:08:26 -0400
 From the chat session of
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2008_04_10    (01)

 > ArturoSanchez: Question for MichaelGruninger: why limit the
formalisms used to express > semantics to Model Theory (slide 9)?  (1DPI)    (02)

We need some notion of satisfiability to determine the minimal conditions
that must be met in order to use a set of ontologies together.
We need some notion entailment to determine whether one ontology is
logically stronger than another.
Both of these concepts require some notion of truth assignment,
which leads to the use of model theory.    (03)

On a more philosophical (and controversial) note, we can consider the
meaning of a term
to be equivalent to the set of true statements using the term.    (04)

- michael    (05)