Re: [ontology-summit] [Quality] What means

To: Ontology Summit 2008 <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ken Baclawski <kenb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 00:21:20 -0400 (EDT)
See my comments inline below.    (01)

-- Ken    (02)

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008, John F. Sowa wrote:    (03)

> Pat and Barry,
>
> Some comments on the issue of multilingual support.
>
> JFS>> The stated goal of Common Logic was to avoid or at least mitigate
> >> such [syntactic] controversies by using an *abstract syntax* that
> >> brings a large number of concrete syntaxes under a common semantic
> >> umbrella.
>
> BS> No disagreement here.
>
> Good.  I'm happy to find an important area of agreement.
>
> PH> A multilingual repository would be a lot more useful if it came
> > with recommended ways to translate between the languages.  For OWL
> > and FOL/CL this is now thoroughly understood, for example.
>
> I agree.  But I would make the point stronger by claiming that
> such translations are more than useful -- they're a prerequisite
> for a multilingual repository.
>
> PH> One can define a sublanguage of CLIF which is virtually isomorphic
> > to the OWL abstract syntax. If I ever get time (in a month or so,
> > maybe) I will write this up in detail as an alternative OWL syntax.
>
> That would be an excellent exercise, which would be of enormous
> interest to everybody.  I hope you can get at least a sketch of it
> done soon.
>
> PH> For things like UML it is much more problematic, as there is not
> > even a common underlying semantic framework within which to compare
> > such notations with logics.
>
> That issue is complicated by various trends within the UML community.
> Some of the UML supporters suggested and developed various logical
> foundations for years, but others have been pushing UML toward a
> more procedural approach.
>
> As one example of a logic-based approach, there is a group called
> PUML (Precise UML) that has been defining the UML diagtrams in Z.
> See the excerpts below.  There's another group, called F-UML,
> that has been defining UML in Object Z.  There's also an approach
> based on category theory:
>
>    http://www1.coe.neu.edu/~jsmith/Publications/ecoop.pdf    (04)

Unfortunately, that link is broken.  Here is a better link:    (05)

http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/kenb/pub/2000/03/public.pdf    (06)

This paper gives an overview of some of the category theoretic approaches
to formalizing UML developed by my colleagues and me at Northeastern
University.  However, we use category theory only as a means of
integrating (fusing) FOL theories.  We did not introduce a new kind of
theory or semantics.  The various UML diagrams for a project can represent
different aspects (e.g., class diagrams vs. activity diagrams) of the
project or can view the project at different granularities (e.g., use case
diagrams vs. class diagrams).  Theory morphisms can be used for mapping
one ontology to another, and colimits can be used to merge ontologies that
overlap one another (e.g., use the same upper ontology).    (07)

For more recent research on this approach to ontology mapping and
modularity, see the excellent presentation by John Bateman back in
January:    (08)

http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2008_01_31    (09)

Since ontology mapping and merging are problems that OOR users will need
to address, category theoretic approaches should be reviewed at the
Ontology Summit 2008.    (010)

> This abundance of approaches is discouraging because it implies
> that none of them has reached a critical mass of support.  My
> recommended approach would be simpler:
>
>  1. Don't wait for the UML community to do anything.
>
>  2. Don't attempt to define all the UML diagrams formally.
>
>  3. Instead, use a subset of the UML diagramming conventions
>     for which the mapping to Common Logic is obvious.
>
>  4. Supplement the diagrams with a version of controlled English
>     that maps to full CL (an example is CLCE -- Common Logic
>     Controlled English -- but other notations such as ACE would
>     be quite acceptable.)
>
>  5. If anybody wants to do full UML, encourage them, but don't
>     hold your breath waiting.    (011)

Would Evan Wallace or Elisa Kendall care to comment on this?    (012)

-- Ken    (013)