[ontology-summit] [Requirements] resources and sustainability

To: OpenOntologyRepository-discussion <oor-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Ontology Summit 2008 <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 22:26:29 -0700
The subject issue should be more of a concern to the OOR-team, whose
task includes the implementation and deployment of an Open Ontology
Repository. Anyhow, I am cross-posting this to the [ontology-summit]
list too, as that is where we are having the discourse.    (01)

Since the OOR mission [1] is not just one of R&D, but rather, one that
includes deployment and operations, the OOR-team needs (also) to be
serious about its ability to provide  its "persistent store"
function/service by making sure it has sustainable resources to enable
it to do so.    (02)

A few here have brought up SourceForge already (Nigel Collier [2],
Bill Andersen [3], John Sowa, Farrukh Najmi, ... etc.). I am a big fan
of SourceForge myself. In fact, back in Fall 2005, when Mark Musen and
I were starting the CODS (Collaborative Ontology Development Service &
Infrastructure) project, I was hoping to see CODS be, to open
ontologies, what SourceForge is to open source software.  ... The same
aspiration, I am hoping, will apply to the OOR effort.    (03)

I am sure there are lots of things we can learn from the SourceForge
experience that would be helpful. And, to that end, I recommend the
following article:    (04)

  "The SourceForge Story" by James Maguire (Datamation), October 17, 2007
  - which can be found at:
http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/cnews/article.php/12035_3705731    (05)

Regards.  =ppy    (06)

Reference:    (07)

  [1] see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OpenOntologyRepository#nid17YN    (08)

  [2] see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OOR/JointPanelSession_Strawman#nid1C13    (09)

  [3] see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontology-summit/2008-03/msg00092.html#nid03
and the series of discussion that followed
--    (010)