Re: [ontology-summit] CEW#63 - two panels - The Plan

To: ray@xxxxxxxx, Ontology Summit 2007 Follow-up <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: dbedford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 17:13:47 -0400
Peter,    (01)

I'll refine these thoughts down over the weekend and send you a single slide for
the panel.    (02)

I'd like to focus on the community building process, and the role and importance
of subject matter expert participation (ie domain SMEs - not only ontology
exerts).
   Ontologies are not one-time efforts constructed by ontologists and sustained
   by systems.  Today, most working ontologies are defined and sustained by SMEs
   who know the context, the business rules and the governance processes that
   sustain them over time.
   There are different roles involved in the construction and use of ontologies
   and to date we have focused primarily on the software engineering role (in my
   opinion).   Ultimately, the primary management role for ontologies will rest
   with the SME's, not with the software engineers.  To this end, then we need
   to develop tools that SMEs can work with as well as system level tools.  .
   The framework was productive from the perspective of an engineer, but is not
   yet meaningful to an SME and we need to continue to move it in that
   direction.  To achieve this, it is critical that SME participation in Ontolog
   increase and this collaborative expedition workshop is a perfect example of
   how we need to move forward.
   It is critical that there be greater participation from SMEs, and this is
   something that the Ontolog Community has encouraged.
   As an example of the roles and the value of SME participation, I can
   reference the work of the Ontologizing Ontolog team as a group of SMEs
   (people who work with ontologies developing an ontology about ontologies, the
   general process we followed which has centered around domain experts) as well
   as the governance model that we use for some of our internal ontologies.   .    (03)

Best regards,
Denise    (04)