Re: [ontology-summit] Ontology Summit follow up - "Folksology"?

To: "Ontology Summit 2007 Forum" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter F Brown" <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 20:12:14 +0200

Debbie:

Absolutely agree with you: I’m not trying to invent anything new (at least, I don’t think so, if this week’s discussions are anything to go by) but just give a neologism to something we seem to be struggling with: as for example, with the step already taken yesterday in recognising the dimensions of ontologies and seeing the need to identify ways to collaborate – that’s what I’d call Folksology – both the inclusion of folksonomies in the broad family of ontologies, and the approach that folksonomies take in enabling collaboration and interoperability in a relatively unstructured manner with an easily accessible on-ramp.

To switch metaphor, the Celtic Tree is interesting because what one person might think of as a branch out from their work, another may consider as a root for their own work… such as we saw yesterday around the point on “ontology as a designed artefact”: is it an output or in input? It’s both. if we tried to visualise it, I guess it’d look more like something from MC Escher ;-)

Peter