Re: [ontology-summit] Logic as the link between human interfaces and mac

To: "Ontology Summit 2007 Forum" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Adrian Walker" <adriandwalker@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 13:48:33 -0400
Hi John --

Thanks for your kind mention our Executable English sytem [1].

Your point about  the difficulty of persuading folks to cross the intellectual silo barriers between HCI // Formal Logic // Programming Languages  is one which we have experienced too.

The system [1] is an integration of a browser based author- and user-interface (open vocabulary executable English), with a logic engine based on a model theoretic semantics [2], and with automatic generation and execution of complex networked SQL.

We find that some folks just look at one part of the system (e.g. SQL), rather than at the intention of the whole design, which is to help to align  IT  with actual business and scientific requirements.

Your correspondent wrote

> The human interfaces are "controlled" interfaces, capable of
 > being unambiguously mapped to strict logic.  So they lack some
 > of the richness, ambiguity, and color of unrestricted natural
 > languages.

I'd respectfully suggest that the lack of richness at the human interface comes in part from the assumption that any such interface must control the syntax and the vocabulary.  This is understandable in terms of the historical prestige of Chomsky grammars and dictionary construction.  But it is possible to relax the assumption, without getting into trouble with ambiguity, as demonstrated in the online system [1].  Of course, there is no such thing as a free natural language lunch, and there is a trade off involved.  However, the trade off allows one to specify and run quite sophisticated business tasks [3,4] in open vocabulary, executable English.

Perhaps the best way of approaching the "semantic" work facing ontologists and others, is to start from the task and see what is helpful in doing it, rather than to start from intellectual islands built for other purposes hoping they, and only they, will suffice.

                                           Cheers,  -- Adrian

[1] Internet Business Logic (R)
A Wiki for Executable Open Vocabulary English
Online at www.reengineeringllc.com    Shared use is free

[2] Backchain Iteration: Towards a Practical Inference Method that is Simple
  Enough to be Proved Terminating, Sound and Complete. Journal of Automated Reasoning, 11:1-22

[3]  www.reengineeringllc.com/A_Wiki_for_Business_Rules_in_Open_Vocabulary_Executable_English.pdf

  [4] www.reengineeringllc.com/Oil_Industry_Supply_Chain_by_Kowalski_and_Walker.pdf

                                            Cheers,  -- Adrian

Adrian Walker