Re: [ontolog-forum] this-time-really-the-ontology-summit [was - PLEASE,

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ontology Summit Forum <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 12:17:50 -0800
Peter:    (01)

Just to clarify.  Do you want the title of the thread circulating now
discussing tagging and folksonomies to be changed?  If so, to what?    (02)

Duane    (03)

On 3/7/07 12:04 PM, "Peter P. Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx> wrote:    (04)

> All,
>

> I appreciate all those who were contributing to nudging the
> conversation back on track. ... We do need that!
>
> Please note that the tag line for "Ontology Summit 2007" has just
> been adopted[1], and therefore, our initiative is now officially
> going to be referred to as:
>
>    "Ontology Summit 2007 - Ontology, Taxonomy, Folksonomy:
> Understanding the Distinctions"
>
> (I'll make a separate post on this shortly.)
>
> I did not post this yesterday because I didn't want this hoist
> this right in the middle of the folksonomy 'debate' (not
> realizing that the conversation would still be going on after a
> few exchanges.)
>
> For those who were at last week's Tom Gruber wonderful invited
> talk, one may, at least, gather that there is more support behind
> "folksonomies" than most people realize here. I believe the use
> of that term, or the fact that some people within the web 2.0
> community even calls that "ontologies" is not what we are out to
> do at "Ontology Summit 2007" (more about this on my next post.)
>
> And, by the way, I did a google on "ontology", "taxonomy" and
> "folksonomy", and these are the results:
>
>    "ontology"  - ~12,200,000 matches
>    "taxonomy"  - ~31,700,000 matches
>    "folksonomy" - ~9,720,000 matches
>
> Considering the numbers of years these terms have been around,
> "folksonomy" isn't doing too bad after all.
>
> Tom Gruber (who defined the term "ontology" in the sense we apply
> to its use in computer science, artificial intelligence and the
> semantic web these days) has Thomas Vander Wal (who coined the
> term "folksonomy" back in 2002) in his TagCommons community.
> Let's see if we can get them to provide their perspectives on
> helping us 'Understanding the Distinctions' (I did extend the
> invitation to Tom during the 3/1/2007 Ontolog session[2] -  ).
>

> Thanks & regards.  =ppy
>
> P.S.
> [1]  The tag line for Ontology Summit 2007 was adopted during our
> organizing committee conference call yesterday - see:
> http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2007/OrganizingCommittee
> Meeting_2007_03_06
>

> [2]  See:
> http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2007_03_01
> Telephone playback for Tom's Mar-1 session on "Grande Challenges
> for Ontology Design" is already available. I have been derelict
> in putting up the mp3 audio archive of that session (because I
> was traveling all last week, and got caught up in some
> emergencies the last couple of days, but it'll be ready today or
> latest by tomorrow, I promise.  =ppy
> --

>      (05)

Sr. Technical Evangelist - Adobe Systems, Inc.           *
Chair - OASIS SOA Reference Model Technical Committee    *
Blog: http://technoracle.blogspot.com                    *
Music: http://www.mix2r.com/audio/by/artist/duane_nickull*