Re: [ontolog-forum] [ontolog-invitation] Proceedings: NIST-Ontolog-NCOR

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Ontology Summit Forum <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter P. Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 09:46:14 -0800
On Thursday 22-Feb-2007, we had a very well attended virtual
session with Dr. Steven Ray (NIST) presenting the 4th Event in
the Joint NIST-Ontolog-NCOR "Ontology Evaluation & Measurement"
Mini-Series. Invited speakers, Professor Michael Gruninger
(University of Toronto) and Mr. Conrad Bock (NIST), gave a
formidable presentation on "Evaluating Reasoning Systems:
Ontology Languages." The talk is based on a very comprehensive
(95-page) report authored by Bock, Gruninger et al. and published
in May-2006 by NIST under the tilte "Evaluating Reasoning Systems."    (01)

This talk is really timely, as it is so relevant to our ongoing
"Ontology Summit 2007" discourse. Our appreciations go out to
Professor Grininger and Mr. Bock for sharing their wonderful work
with us; to Dr. Ray for championing this mini-series; and, as
always, to all the participants for joining us and for
contributing to the extensive discussion we had during the session.    (02)

Proceedings of the session are captured on our wiki page, at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2007_02_22#nidTSZ    (03)

In particular, full audio recording of the session is now
available - see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2007_02_08#nidTEM     (04)

... we are glad we have captured this session into our archives
and have it preserved for posterity. This presentation and the
ensuing discussion contribute to another significant item in the
body of knowledge on ontology and ontological engineering that
our community is building together. Thanks again!    (05)

Best regards. =ppy    (06)

P.S. Upcoming events: (see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nidW)    (07)

* Thursday, 1-March-2007 - Dr. Tom Gruber, the ex-Stanford
scientist who defined the term "ontology" in the sense we apply
to its use in computer science, artificial intelligence and the
semantic web these days, will be our invited speaker. Dr.
Gruber's talk will be on: "Grande Challenges for Ontology Design"
... Please refer to details. at the session wiki page at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2007_03_01
... RSVP now (mailto:peter.yim@xxxxxxxx offline) if you haven't
already done so!    (08)

* Thursday, 8-March-2007 - we will be presenting the 5th session
in the "Database And Ontology" Mini-Series - Dr. Adrian Walker,
CTO of Reengineering LLC, will be our invited speaker. He will be
presenting a talk on "Usability, Databases and Ontologies"    (09)

* An archive of noteworthy past Ontolog events can be found at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nidZ    (010)

Tx. =ppy
--     (011)

Peter P. Yim wrote Wed, 21 Feb 2007 00:55:56 -0800:
Subject: Re: [ontolog-invitation] NIST-Ontolog-NCOR mini-series
on "Ontology Measurement and Evaluation" - Prof. Michael
Gruninger & Mr. Conrad Bock - Thu 2007.02.22

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=2&day=22&year=2007&hour=10&min=30&sec=0&p1=224    (018)