ontology-summit-advisors

Re: [ontology-summit-advisors] Developing a managerial fantasy?

To: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Cc: OntologySummit2013 Advisory Committee <ontology-summit-advisors@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Fabian Neuhaus <fabian.neuhaus@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 15:59:50 -0400
Pat,
I would like to thank you again for your comments. We tried to address the issues that you raised. E.g., we cut down on the "management speak" and clarified that the reuse of an upper ontology is only an example how one can specify certain ontology design decisions.

Most importantly, we tried to make the document as "dogma-proof" as possible. We stress even in stronger terms that for the sake of having a comprehensible presentation the  "life cycle model" abstracts of all the real-world differences of how ontologies are developed. And in several places (including the executive summary) we assert that because of the lack of maturity of ontology engineering all recommendations in the communique must be considered preliminary.

I agree that this might not prevent graduates from the Dilbert-school of management to try to apply some of the recommendations in the document blindly and make a mess of it. But bad managers will mismanage their projects with or without our communique.

At the same time, for many other people the communique will, hopefully, provide some useful guidance that is based on the input from large and diverse group of people with tons of experience in ontology development.

Best
Fabian

PS: The final version of the communique is available here:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2013_Communique