ontolog-invitation

[ontolog-invitation] UoM Standard Ontology panel-discussion-II - co-chai

To: ontolog-invitation@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 11:49:25 -0700
Re: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2009_09_24    (01)

= *REMINDER* =    (02)

Coming up tomorrow (Thursday, 24-Sep-2009) will be our second UoM
virtual panel session.    (03)

Dr. Frank Olken (NSF) & Mr. David Price (Eurostep) will be co-chairing
the session, which is entitled: "Strawman for a UoM Ontology
Standard." On the panel, we will be having Dr. James "Chip" Masters to
talk about the "QUDT: An OWL Ontology for Measurable Quantities,
Units, Dimension Systems, and Dimensional Data Types", Dr. Gunther
Schadow to tell us about the "UCUM: Unified Code for Units of
Measure", Mr. David Leal to bring forth "A Strawman UML Model for our
UoM_Ontology_Standard" and Mr. Ed Barkmeyer to help take inventory on
the "State of the UoM_Ontology_Standard Initiative."    (04)

We want to use this session to help identify where this initiative
stands now, and what else needs to be done to move our
UoM_Ontology_Standard effort forward.    (05)

As announced earlier, we have also planned a face-to-face workshop for
Fri 30-Oct-2009, at NSF (Arlington, Virginia, USA) in the hope that we
will be closer to drafting up a candidate standard which we can then
move over to a proper SDO (standards development organization)
setting, and work that towards adoption. We hope participants in this
session will contribute to identifying the process, players and the
work plan (especially between now and end October,) to help make our
"Quantities and Units of Measure Ontology-based Standard" a reality.    (06)

If you are part of the UoM_Ontology_Standard team, or are among those
who realizes the importance of this effort and want to track its
progress, and make a difference on how it should progress, please make
sure you come join us tomorrow.    (07)

*RSVP now*, if you haven't already!  ... Kindly add your own name to
our expected attendees list (if you are already a member of the
Ontolog or the UoM community), or rsvp by email (with your name and
affiliation) to <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx> to register your attendance.    (08)

*Conference Call Details*:    (09)

* Date: Thursday, 24-Sep-2009
* Start Time:
 10:30am PDT / 1:30pm EDT / 6:30pm CEST / 6:30pm BST / 17:30 UTC
 o see world clock -
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=9&day=24&year=2009&hour=10&min=30&sec=0&p1=224    (010)

* Expected Call Duration: 2.0~2.5 hours
* Dial-in Numbers:
 o When calling in from a phone, use Conference ID: "4389979#"
 o from a US telephone (US): +1-218-844-8060
 o from Europe, call:
 + UK 0844-581-9148
 + France 0826-100-280
 + Germany 01805-00-7642
 + Italy 848-390-179
 + ... (more dial-in numbers for the EU available; see session page)    (011)

Please refer to full agenda and details (including dial-in numbers for
more European countries) at the session wiki page
at: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2009_09_24    (012)

This event, like all Ontolog virtual events, is open and free of
charge. Anyone who is interested, or (better still) who may have
something to contribute, is welcome. Please refer to event details on
the session page, to which the hyperlink is given at the top of this
message, where you will find session agenda, conference call dial-in,
slides and other pertinent information. Feel free to pass this
invitation along to colleagues who may also find this session to be of
interest. ... The session will be presented in the format of an
augmented conference call (similar to other Ontolog virtual events);
you will only need a phone and Internet access to participate.    (013)

*RSVP* by emailing both Peter Yim at <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>offline (or
add yourself directly to the session page if you are already an
Ontolog or OOR community member) so that we can prepare enough
resources to support everyone, and to avoid unnecessary delays during
the roll call process. ... RSVP now, if you haven't already!    (014)

This session will be recorded and made available in a publicly
accessible archive. Therefore, before participating, please make sure
you are cognizant of our IPR policy (ref:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nid32).    (015)

Regards.  =ppy    (016)

for and on behalf of the organizers
   David Price