ontolog-invitation

[ontolog-invitation] Ontology Summit 2009 - Communitywide brainstorming

To: ontolog-invitation@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Peter P. Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 11:51:45 -0800
Re: *Ontology Summit 2009*:
    "*Ontologies as the Next Generation of Information Standards*"    (01)

As we have done, for the past three years, we are now working on
putting together the next ontology summit. Joining NIST, Ontolog
and NCOR this year, are OASIS along with other co-organizers and
co-sponsors that include various standards working groups from
ISO, UN-CEFACT, OMG, W3C, ... etc.    (02)

We invite you to join us at a community-wide brainstorming &
planning session to define the scope and approach, and solicit
your personal involvement in helping drive this very strategic
agenda called out in the theme of this next Ontology Summit.    (03)

The summit will continue to take the format of: (a) three months
of online discourse by the community of summit participants (via
the [ontolog-summit] archived mailing list), plus (b) several
virtual talks and panel discussions over the same period of time
(via augmented conference calls), which then culminate into (c) a
two-day face-to-face workshop at NIST (Gaithersburg, Maryland,
US) and (d) the release of a joint "Communique" by the summit
participants. [ Repeat: this is *not* a 2-day conference, but
rather a series of virtual and real events that span the next
3-months. ]    (04)

To help focus our efforts and help people plan their work
calendars, several things have already been (pretty much) locked-in:    (05)

  o  the theme will be: "Ontologies as the Next Generation of
Information Standards"    (06)

  o  our Launch Event has been scheduled for Thu 2009.01.15; it
will be a 1.5-hour virtual session starting at 18:30 UTC (the
regular Ontolog event slot)    (07)

  o  the 2-day face-to-face workshop at NIST (Gaithersburg,
Maryland, US) will be on Mon~Tue April 6~7, 2009    (08)

  o  we want the Communique drafted (and 90% done) by the time we
walk into the face-to-face workshop    (09)

  o  except for the above, plans are wide open ... and we need
your input    (010)

We will be holding this community-wide brainstorming & planning
session (conference call) next Thursday 18-Dec-2008 (i.e. two
days from now.)    (011)

Conference Call details:    (012)