ontolog-invitation

[ontolog-invitation] Joint NASA-Ontolog-KMWG "OKMDS" mini-series - Thu 2

To: ontolog-invitation@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Peter Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 12:26:10 -0700
****************** Headlines ***********************    (01)

We take pleasure in inviting you to join us at the next three sessions
of the joint NASA-Ontolog-KMWG "Ontology in Knowledge Management and
Decision Support (OKMDS)" mini-series episodes:    (02)

  *Thu 17 Apr 2008* - "Knowledge Mapping for Sensemaking" with invited
speakers Dr. Jeffrey Conklin (CogNexus Institute), Dr. Simon
Buckingham Shum (KMi, The Open University, UK), Mr. Eric Yeh (SRI) and
Mr. Jack Park (SRI).    (03)

  *Thu 08 May 2008* - Invited Speaker session with Professor Yochai
Benkler (Harvard).    (04)

  *Thu 29 May 2008* - Concluding session of the OKMDS mini-series with
Mr. Andrew Schain (NASA/HQ) and Ms. Jeanne Holme (NASA/JPL).    (05)

  *Register your attendance* by emailing <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx> offline.
Please specify the date of name of the session(s) you are registering
for.    (06)

******************** Details ************************    (07)

This "Ontology in Knowledge Management and Decision Support (OKMDS)"
mini-series is a collaboration between NASA, Ontolog and the (US)
Federal Knowledge Management Working Group (KMWG), and is co-organized
by a team of individuals from various related communities passionate
about creating the opportunity for an inter-community, collaborative
exploration of the intersection between Ontology, Knowledge Management
and Decision Support, that could eventually lead us toward "Better
Decision Making."    (08)

The mini-series will span a period of about six months (Nov-2007 to
May-2008), during which we are featuring Talks, Panel Discussions and
Online Discourse on pertinent issues. We expect all the talks and
panel discussion events to be offered in both 'real world' (augmented
conference calls) and 'virtual world' (Second Life) settings.    (09)

Please refer to details about this mini-series on the OKMDS project
homepage, at: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OKMDS    (010)

You are cordially invited to join us at the three upcoming sessions:    (011)

*Thu 17 Apr 2008* - OKMDS-session-06 - "Knowledge Mapping for
Sensemaking" with invited speakers Dr. Jeffrey Conklin (CogNexus
Institute), Dr. Simon Buckingham Shum (KMi, The Open University, UK),
Mr. Eric Yeh (SRI) and Mr. Jack Park (SRI). Our panel will be sharing
with us various "knowledge mapping" approaches to managing
information, knowledge and decisions and allude to their efficacy in
dealing with, among others, the class of problems known as "wicked
problems," that decision makers and knowledge workers would invariably
encounter. Please refer to details on the session page at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2008_03_27    (012)

*Thu 08 May 2008* - OKMDS-session-07 - Invited Speaker session with
Professor Yochai Benkler (Harvard), whose seminal work "Coase's
Penguin, or Linux and the Nature of the Firm" (NYU, 2002)
characterized peer production as a basic phenomenon of the networked
economy, and the author of "The Wealth of Networks: How Social
Production Transforms Markets and Freedom" (Yale, 2006), will be
joining us for the session. Please refer to details (closer to the
time) on the session page at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2008_05_08    (013)

*Thu 29 May 2008* - OKMDS-session-08 - Mr. Andrew Schain (NASA/HQ) and
Ms. Jeanne Holme (NASA/JPL) will be speaking on "Connecting People
Through Semantics" and provide a Summary on the OKMDS mini-series in
this concluding session of the collaborative endeavor. Please refer to
details (closer to the time) on the session page at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2008_05_29    (014)

*RSVP* by emailing Peter Yim at <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx> offline so that
we can prepare enough resources to support everyone. State clearly the
date of the session you are registering for. (Kindly include your
affiliation and job title if you aren't already a member of the
Ontolog community or the KMgov community.)    (015)

The sessions will be recorded. Before participating, please make sure
you are cognizant of our IPR policy (ref:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nid32).    (016)

Regards,    (017)

Jeanne Holm                 Peter Yim      Susan Turnbull
Chief Knowledge Architect   Co-convener    Senior Program Advisor,
NASA/JPL                    ONTOLOG        GSA    (018)

on behalf of the OKMDS project organizing committee:    (019)

* Andrew Schain (NASA/HQ)
* Denise Bedford (WorldBank)
* Jeanne Holm (NASA/JPL)
* Ken Baclawski (NEU)