ontolog-invitation

Re: [ontolog-invitation] Topic: Probabilistic Reasoning and Ontology Eva

To: ontolog-invitation@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Peter P. Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 15:55:12 -0800
Re:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2007_03_29    (01)

*REMINDER*    (02)

The 5th event in the joint NIST-Ontolog-NCOR mini-series on
"Ontology Measurement and Evaluation" is coming up (tomorrow)
this Thursday 29-Feb-2007 (starting at 10:30am PDT / 1:30pm EDT /
7:30pm CET / 17:30 UTC).    (03)

Professor Kenneth Baclawski (Northeastern University), Professor
Kathryn Blackmond Laskey & Dr. Paulo Costa (both from George
Mason University), and  Dr. Terry Janssen (Lockheed Martin)  will
be on Dr. Steve Ray's expert panel, where they will present and
discuss on the topic: "Probabilistic Reasoning and Ontology
Evaluation." ... For those who know how ontologies can support
logical inferencing, and are wondering how it can be made to also
handle probabilistic reasoning and stochastic inferencing, you
should definitely come to this event.    (04)

RSVP by e-mailing the sender (<peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>) off-line if
you are planning to attend and haven't already responded. (If you
aren't already an Ontolog member, kindly include your name,
affiliation and job title as well in your response.)    (05)

We look forward to having you at the session.    (06)

Regards.  =ppy
--     (07)

Peter P. Yim wrote Mon, 26 Mar 2007 07:39:02 -0800:
> [...]

>       of the US or European numbers
>     o Conference ID: "5823120#"
>     o Direct call from from Skype: +990008275823120
> Shared-screen support will be available
>     (010)

> Session Chair: *Dr. Steven Ray* (NIST)
> Panelists:
>      * Professor Kenneth Baclawski (Northeastern University),
>      * Professor Kathryn Blackmond Laskey & Dr. Paulo Costa
>         (George Mason University), and
>      * Dr. Terry Janssen (Lockheed Martin)
>     (011)

> Topic: *Probabilistic Reasoning and Ontology Evaluation*
>
> *Abstract*:
>
> The Semantic Web is an extension of the World Wide Web in which
> information is given a well-defined meaning, so that computers
> and people may more easily work in cooperation. This is done by
> introducing a framework in which one can represent formal logical
> statements and perform logical inference. However, the Semantic
> Web does not include a mechanism for empirical, scientific
> reasoning which is based on stochastic inference. The purpose of
> this session is to survey and evaluate proposed mechanisms for
> integrating probabilistic reasoning with logical reasoning in
> general, and with the Semantic Web in particular.
>
> Some of the characteristics that distinguish the proposed
> mechanisms and languages include: expressiveness, modularity,
> support for continuous random variables, and compatibility with
> the Semantic Web. Probabilistic reasoning systems can be
> characterized by features such as: the language used to specify
> probabilistic knowledge, the expressiveness of the query
> language, the background probabilistic ontology used by the
> system, and the mechanism for integration with logical reasoning.
> This panel discussion will address these and other
> characteristics and discuss how they might be incorporated when
> evaluating probabilistic ontologies.
>     (012)

> * Refer to details on the session wiki page at*:
> http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2007_03_29    (013)

> This will be a virtual session over an augmented conference call.
> The session is expected to include two briefings from our
> panelists (about 30 minutes each) followed by an open discussion
> among the panelists and the participants. The entire session will
> be recorded and made available as open content under the
> prevailing Ontolog IPR policy (see:
> http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nid32).    (014)

> As usual, this Ontolog event is open to all. I look forward to
> having you at this session. Please pass the announcement along to
> those who might be interested to join us too.    (015)

> *RSVP* by by emailing me at <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx> offline so that
> we can prepare enough resources to support everyone. (Kindly
> include your affiliation and job title if you aren't already a
> member of the Ontolog community.)
>

> Regards. =ppy
>
> Peter P. Yim Co-convener, Ontolog    (016)

See the list of archived Ontolog past events under:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nidZ
Join this list: mailto:ontolog-invitation-join@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Leave this list: mailto:ontolog-invitation-leave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Message Archives: http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-invitation/