[ontolog-forum] Deep Learning Godfather says machines learn like toddler

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2015 14:51:03 -0400
I received an offline note from a colleague who is more sympathetic
to the claims about the so-called "deep learning" nets than I am.    (01)

Artificial neural networks (ANNs) have proved to be very useful for
pattern recognition.  That's an important component of learning.
But it's very far from supporting the complex learning and reasoning
for language, planning, problem solving, science, business, etc.    (02)

This thread was triggered by a CBC interview with Geoffrey Hinton:
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the-current-for-may-5-2015-1.3061292/deep-learning-godfather-says-machines-learn-like-toddlers-1.3061318    (03)

Claim by GH:
> Anything you can do, neural networks will also eventually be able to do.
> All industries will be affected by it.    (04)

I agree with the second sentence. But there's no evidence for the first.
ANNs are good at pattern recognition, but the adjective 'deep' in front
of NN is pure hype.  As hype, it was successful in getting big bucks
from Google.  That's the best (and worst) you can say for it.    (05)

John    (06)