Re: [ontolog-forum] The Lindenbaum lattice and a biography of Adolf Lind

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "cg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <cg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2015 20:54:11 +0000
Thanks, John. This is useful info. What a shame that Lindenbaum's life, like
many others back then, was cut drastically short by the Nazis, fascists, and
totalitarian Marxists. Useful reminder for us all today, when ideologues roam
the streets.
    (01)

I was reminded of Isaiah Berlin's speech on his reception of an honorary
doctorate (given by U. Toronto, 1994), recently published in the New York
Review of Books, Oct. 23, 2014 issue:
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2014/oct/23/message-21st-century/.
    (02)

"Let me explain. If you are truly convinced that there is some solution to all
human problems, that one can conceive an ideal society which men can reach if
only they do what is necessary to attain it, then you and your followers must
believe that no price can be too high to pay in order to open the gates of such
a paradise. Only the stupid and malevolent will resist once certain simple
truths are put to them. Those who resist must be persuaded; if they cannot be
persuaded, laws must be passed to restrain them; if that does not work, then
coercion, if need be violence, will inevitably have to be used—if necessary,
terror, slaughter. Lenin believed this after reading Das Kapital, and
consistently taught that if a just, peaceful, happy, free, virtuous society
could be created by the means he advocated, then the end justified any methods
that needed to be used, literally any."
    (03)

"The central values by which most men have lived, in a great many lands at a
great many times—these values, almost if not entirely universal, are not
always harmonious with each other. Some are, some are not."
    (04)

Thanks,
Leo
    (05)