Re: [ontolog-forum] Report of Ontolog Board of Trustees Meeting

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 12:51:40 -0800

Phil

Looking at your overview slides, I came across this one, which seems to support Child machine semantic construction concepts:

In addition to the Tala conceptual language, the architecture contains two other principal elements at the linguistic level:

•Conceptual Framework. An information architecture for managing an extensible collection of concepts, expressed in Tala.

•Conceptual Processes. An extensible system of processes that operate on concepts in the conceptual framework, to produce intelligent behaviors and new concepts.

I am very interested in the AIXItl algorithm, which is theoretically sufficient as a Child machine, but the model is based on a discrete sampled system – the canonical linear system model equations used by all control engineers and electrical engineers who process negative feedback systems.  That makes it opaque how logic encodes knowledge and is fitted into the matrices of the linear system.  It would be nice to have more meaningful ways of generating new concepts for the Child every time a new meaningful experience is encountered by said child.

But looking for building block concepts – those I can fit with others in wide varieties of ways – is pretty much without meaning unless linked in some way to experiences with said constructions.  Those building blocks would necessarily have no individual meaning, and would have to draw their meaning from the context of the experience and from the outcome-to-initial-situation results.

Can you enlarge on the thesis ideas to cover how new concepts are created meaningfully in the Child machine version of TalaMind please?

Thanks,

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper