Re: [ontolog-forum] Generalization, specialization, and interoperability

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Whitten <whitten@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 10:53:23 -0400
I wish that real systems matched some of the mathematical elegance
that John Sowa's
detailed note displayed.    (01)

To elaborate a little on the real world interoperability issues, I
have addressed, please look at a single property of a Person to denote
the status of marriage for an individual.    (02)

On one system (let's call it ACME), there is a property named MARRIAGE
STATUS with the following values:
MARRIED
SINGLE    (03)

on another system (let's call it ENTERPRISE), there is a property
named MARITAL STATUS with the following values:
   DIVORCED
   MARRIED
   NEVER MARRIED
   SEPARATED
   UNKNOWN
   WIDOWED    (04)

On the face of it, these are both compatible, but in actuality there
is only easy interoperability in one direction, from ENTERPRISE to
ACME, but not from ACME to ENTERPRISE.    (05)

ENTERPRISE -> ACME    (06)

   DIVORCED -> SINGLE
   MARRIED -> MARRIED
   NEVER MARRIED -> SINGLE
   SEPARATED -> MARRIED
   UNKNOWN -> ????
   WIDOWED -> SINGLE    (07)

If the ACME system can not store an answer to this property, the
UNKNOWN case can just be ignored by not storing any answer.    (08)

The opposite direction (from ACME to ENTERPRISE) is fraught with
arbitrary solutions.    (09)

Perhaps the real problem is that even with this (real) example, there
is the built-in 3D mind set that says what is stored in the system
right now is true since the last change. This formulation doesn't have
the idea of a date of transition (Wedding Date, Death Date of Spouse,
Divorce Date, Separation Date) or that this concept of
Status_of_Marriage is actually not static at all but is fluid.    (010)

David Whitten
713-870-3834    (011)