[ontolog-forum] Are Predicates a Form of Categorization/Classification?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Frank Guerino <Frank.Guerino@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2014 12:10:56 -0400
Hi All,

Given the discussions on Category Theory, I was curious if the community views Predicates as a form of categorization/classification.

I, personally, would take the position of “yes,” as experience shows me that Predicates are a means of categorizing/classifying sets of Relationships.

For example…

If we can categorize/classify a set of Nodes in a Network/Graph as “Mammals”, selecting all mammals would highlight all Nodes in the Network/Graph that comply.

Similarly, if we have a Predicate called “Owner”, selecting all Owners would highlight all Relationships in the Network/Graph that comply.

Interestingly, this implies that the label/term “Predicate” is formally recognized as a super-categorization/classification of Relationships contained in a Network/Graph.  In other words, “Predicate” is equivalent to “Relationship Type."  Is there a label or term for super-categorizations/classifications of Nodes in a Network/Graph?  To date, we use the term “Node Type."

Looking forward to your views.

My Best,

Frank
--
Frank Guerino, Chairman
The International Foundation for Information Technology (IF4IT)